Innovating an Icon: UGGplush™
8 October 2020
Our Innovation stories
- One step closer to a regenerative future: Spotlight on the new Classic Mini Regenerate giving intensive farming the boot
- UGG is committed to better materials
- UGG Launches Partnership with CFDA
- UGG brand’s material innovations for Icon-Impact
- LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENTS: AN INTERVIEW WITH SALLY YINGST
- Discover TENCEL™ Lyocell
- Plant Power Material Innovations
- UGG DEBUTS PLANT POWER
- UGG® launches inclusive UNIVERSAL collection
- Global Ratings App Good On You Recognises FEEL GOOD Platform
- PART OF A FAMILY: OUR COMMITMENTS TO MATERIAL INNOVATION
The largest material fiber used by UGG is re-purposed wool, which is blended into our UGGpure™ proprietary technology. UGGpure™ is a more responsible material because it reduces our use of virgin wool, uses less water and energy, and emits less CO2 when compared to virgin market wool.
Continuing to challenge ourselves, we created our UGGplush™ material which combines our proprietary UGGpure™ technology with a recycled polyester backing and TENCEL™ lyocell, a sustainably-sourced fiber made from wood pulp. UGGplush™ furthers our commitment to seeking more sustainable material alternatives whenever possible.
Commitments to change:
Of all the wool we use in our footwear, currently less than 2% is virgin wool, with a commitment to either eliminate virgin wool from our supply chain or ensure all virgin wool is Responsible Wool Standard certified by 2022. The Responsible Wool Standard is an industry tool designed to recognize the best practices of farmers, ensuring that wool comes from farms with a sustainable approach to managing their land, and from sheep that have been treated responsibly.
We also supported the Responsible Wool Kick Start Program, which helps smaller farming operations become Responsible Wool Standard certified, thereby producing and putting more certified wool into the supply chain. We hope that our participation in this program will help drive industry change.